Sunday, October 01, 2006

Stick Boy and Match Girl in Love

Stick Boy liked Match Girl,
He liked her a lot
He liked her cute figure
He thought she was hot.



But could a flame ever burn for a match and a stick?
It did quite literally;
He burned up pretty quick.



-Tim Burton, The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories


I found this story in Anagram Bookshop, an English bookstore in Prague, and really liked it. Does that make me morbid?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it reminds me of this short film i saw once. picture a box of matches, and this one matchstick girl comes alive and hops out of the box. she takes some time to check out the box, her surroundings, etc. and is obviously considering what her purpose is. she finally figures it out -- strikes herself on the box and burns up in a blaze of glory, smile on her face. the film ends with another match waking up and popping out of the box, to see her burned up and starting his own process of discerning meaning.

i always really liked it. i mean, the match girl burns herself up, but she's so happy at the same time. like she's found her meaning in life and just goes for it.

Paul, Karyn, Philip said...

Bekah,
I love your blog, you always have such intriguing, charming and thought-provoking things. I think that story is adorable, well, at least that was what I initially thought, I like the part about her figure being cute and that fact that she's hot...

Bekah said...

cute picture of you two! I liked the same parts of the story as you too...