The question we're asked throughout life is, who is a teacher who's had an impact on your life? And other than a college professor who inspired me to stop settling for whatever happens to me in life, and work hard for what I want, my answer to that question has always been "Mrs. Crumley". At Good Shepherd School, from 1986 to 1988 she was my 3rd and 4th grade teacher. She was the one who sent me to the hall for calling Tyler Norquist a "jerk" (he was being a jerk) and who had clear polish on her short nails and who had the loveliest, fluffiest, curliest blond hair a teacher in the 80's could've asked for.
Friday she lost her battle with cancer, at the age of 46.
And I just want whoever's reading to know that she had an impact on my young life. She was kind, and patient and challenged me to read out loud in front of class, when I was terrified I'd make a mistake and look stupid. Between having her as a teacher and watching countless syndicated episodes of Little House on the Prairie, I don't think there was a girl in our class who didn't want to become a teacher. I also remember that, before coming to our school, she taught in Brazil. I sat in awe thinking how did someone so young do such an amazing thing? She spoke 2 languages? WOW! I think this impacted me more than I ever thought of before.
I'm so sad to hear this news, and my prayers are with her 3 children and husband, and many family members I know. I pray you'll experience His peace as the gravity of this reality sinks in. She will be missed.
Sunday, March 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
If only she could read these beautiful words you have written Beks. To think you will now be a teacher, impacting young lives as well.
Very sweet thoughts Rebekah. Teachers do play such important roles in our young lives, and I'm so glad you get to be one of those role models.
Love you.
Sorry. I forgot to sign my name. You probably guessed by my use of your "GIVEN" name!
Mom
Post a Comment