So I guess there are games in blogging! Melissa just "tagged" me and now I have to talk about books. I think bookcases are a bit like trophy cases.. everyone wants an impressive one so all of their friends will know how intelligent and deep they are. Like the cynicism? Not that I don't like books... actually I do. And I wish I would make more time to read them.
So, let's see... I'm supposed to tell you how many trophies...er..I mean books I have. I like owning books I'll read again, so I don't know how many that makes. I brought to Prague 4 books (besides my Bible)... "Blue Like Jazz" & "Searching for God Knows What" both by Donald Miller, "A Severe Mercy" by Sheldon Van Auken (pretty sure that's not the way to spell his name) and "The Book of Questions" (in case I get unoriginal). I think I also threw in a really thin Tozer book I hope to get to.
Actually, I just realized you can read my profile to see the other books I like.
So now I get to tag people. Unfortunately the list of people I know with a blog is quite short...so the people I tag can add a comment to mine... and they are:
Andy... 'cause he likes to read (not my blog apparently, 'cause I don't think he's ever commented)
Liz... 'cause she's an English major and should have some good ones
Sara Mathews... another avid reader and maybe especially being in the center of Africa(?)
Trina... while I'm reading "He's Just Not That Into You" and Glamour, she's reading original Hebrew.
Kristin... another smarty pants I aspire to be like
Monday, August 15, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Hey, I would like to say that just because someone doesn't make comments doesn't mean they aren't reading your blog. I didn't realize that commenting was regarded to highly, and I'm glad you set me straight on that issue. I would also like to add a thank you for not tagging me with your book tagging thing (not that the thought would have come close to crossing your mind...tabitha-books? Nah). When you start tagging about movies and food, send one my way. :)
hey Beckah...
Like the blog so far (although I've only been able to read your book entry) If you ever want to check out my blog, I'm at greatadventure29.blogspot.com. Anyway, You're in my prayers. Have a great day..
Hi Bekah,
Thanks for another great update. We are praying for you...and you know what? We have now a blogspot also....
goingglobalingresham.blogspot.com
Love,
Pat and Rakel
Beks.. you can't tag back the person that tagged you ...so I am proud of you for being resourceful. Good call on the Andy comment. :-) I would agree there.. you would think that someone who works with a computer all day would be able to comment on a blog or two to remind his friends that he cares...
And Tabs... it is VERY highly regarded. :-)
What am I chop liver?
Yes, Jamie... You're chop liver. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you.
Well, according to "the rules" I only had 5 people to tag.. so I'll go ahead and cheat for ya.
Jamie, will you PLEASE tell me how many books you own, what you're reading now and you're top 5?????!!
Since I'm packing next week I can actually give you a number!
Well, at last count I own and have read...
Kidding. So I am a bad friend and will readily admit it. Basically I forgot that Bekah had a blog, so since I just remembered, here I am. I am reading a couple good books right now: The Present Future by Reggie MacNeal and The Portrait of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. The Present Future is 6 tough questions for the church today, and I think they are excellent questions, and ones that need to be addressed. I could say a whole lot more on that subject, but I don't think this is the place to do it.
Okay, so smart mouth is more like it ... right now I'm readying Orthodoxy by Chesterton, Knowing God by JI Packer, and Baghdad Without a Map by Tony Horwitz. Baghdad is a travelogue written by a 20-something journalist, and I first read it in middle school ... actually what started me thinking about becoming a reporter. Still really good.
Check me out, I'm commenting! Woo HOO! I do read your blog Beks...when I can. It's not easy though since I live in a grass hut with no power and have to hike a few miles with the naked tribespeople and goats to reach a town where I can get connected. Ha! JK although I did have to wait for a bunch of cows to cross the road the other day on my way to work...Ah, rush hour in Africa. Anyway... books. I LOVE BOOKS! Unlike you, I buy a book sometimes because it looks cool or because I think SOMEDAY I just MIGHT read this one. Not because I'm super intelligent and want to learn more. Right now I'm reading Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy (it's horrible- don't ever read it) and The Liberty of Obedience by Elizabeth Elliot. My top 5? That's a tough one. How about top 5 fiction: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte; Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy; Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg; Mansfield Park by Jane Austen; and the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (that can count as one right?) That's my two cents (or twenty Burundian francs) for what it's worth. Amahoro.
Post a Comment