Thursday, August 17, 2006

Another Top 10

Last August, after just being in Europe a few weeks, I came up with a top 10 Prague. I thought I'd try this again, now having had the whole years' experience. But I also thought I'd add a top 10 Portland... 'cause why stop at bragging about your home city while abroad.

Prague Top 10
10. espresso s mlekem (with milk) at the Literary Cafe
9. charming surroundings, whether it be pristine Old Town Square or run down buildings in Zizkov (neighborhood in Prague)
8. walking EVERYWHERE! whether it be Petrin Hill or my neighborhood of Vinohrady
7. cheap food and beer
6. a slower moving culture (even in the biggest city) not so concerned with production...and the ability to take a vacation (4 weeks a year standard!)
5. a culture that values friendship and loyalty and keeping your word (no flippant promises)... they don't take these things lightly and once you're friends, you're friends for life
4. Prague Christian Fellowship... my international church which was just that, and a place to be where people knew me and were happy to see me
3. friendships and the time to enjoy them
2. Happy Hippos Private English Language Preschool... a job I never dreaded going to and students I'll never forget
1. Bohemian Bagel for American food, and going to movies... my escape back to America
1b. it's general, but living abroad where I can appreciate a culture different from my own (ie, no concept of "customer service"), to see and hear a different perspective on America and politics, and to experience knowing people from all over the world and see their patriotism and pride for their own country.. it was inspiring
1c. saying hello/good day and goodbye to every shop owner/restaurant staff etc, no matter how long you were in the store or if you purchased anything

And Top 10 Portland specifically and America in general
10. espresso with milk at Stumptown Coffee
9. fitting in whether you're a hippy-tree-hugger, a yuppy-subaru-suv-with-ski-rack-and-bike-rack-driver, or someone who enjoys the Gap and Starbucks more than is cool (me)
8. great restaurants, pubs, beer, wine, free concerts and plays in parks, and great music and venues
7. friendly people who look you in the eye
6. being able to talk to people in line, at restaurants and random places, instead of using my pathetic Czech (although that was fun too)
5. a laid-back culture, for being so hyped up on caffeine
4. driving, clothes dryers, pancakes, brownies, peanut butter, American bacon, bbq's, free water (anything I'm missing?)
3. cheap clothes (the 1 thing that wasn't cheap in Czech)
2. coffee dates with old friends and time spent with family
1. A place I feel at home, where I don't have to slow down or dumb down my language for people to understand, a culture that's comfortable, American shows that aren't dubbed in German

And just as a side note, does anyone even read my blog anymore?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i read your blog beks! everyday i check it...what does that say about my social life? wow. i like your top ten lists...

sara said...

haha! yes beks, i still read your blog. it's been much more sporadic since i've been home, but i'm sure i'll go back to checking it religiously when i return to africa. friends' blogs are a huge comfort while living so far from home so keep those updates coming! (i know, i know i'm not really one to talk am i?)

your "top 10 Portland" resonates big time with me. i've been enjoying all those and more in the past few weeks- all but #3 that is... i've spent WAY too much $$ on clothes while i've been home. YIKES!

Tabs said...

Girl, I was a huge fan of "Bekah in Prague" I am now an even bigger fan of "Living. In America. Again." It is one of the high lights of my blog time in the morning. :)

Anonymous said...

Heck yes I read your blog even if I do stand you up for coffee... Still sorry about that :( Can I blame it one a late night working psych?! Because that IS what I was doing... and it would tucker you out too... get it?! Its a pun?! Get it?! AHAHAHAHAHA... Just kidding. I'm so NOT funny. Sigh. Love you

Bekah said...

Peter! What's your blog address? I don't have it so have no way of finding what you're up to.

will said...

why would anyone want to read your blog again? wait...guess i was. oh well - call me you loser..

Nate and Andrea said...

What's better than a latte at Stumptown Coffee? Being able to walk five minutes to get a latte at Stumptown Coffee, and then, buying a bag of Stumptown Coffee beans so you can make your own lattes at home! :)

Yes, I do, in fact, read your blog as well.