Saturday, November 25, 2006

Back in the Land of the Turkey

This year I had to appreciate the fact that I could stroll the isles of the grocery store and find Stove Top and french fried onions. My last Thanksgiving included all of the traditional American fare only because a friend from America brought them with him on his visit to Prague. We only had turkey because some expat had cancelled their order and we got the last one!

My fellow Americans and I got to introduce a real Thanksgiving meal to our Czech and English friends. It was strange working a full week and having to celebrate on Saturday, but it was still fun recreating America in my friends' Prague flat. Without Thanksgiving as a buffer, the streets of Prague had been decorated with Christmas wreaths and bells for weeks. And that weekend was the lighting of the Christmas trees in every square. I will miss the Christmas markets this year. I will miss the snow that will cover Wenceslas Square, decorated trees, Christmas booths, shoppers and all.

But anyway, back to Thanksgiving.


Kristen's apple pie.... mmmmm


Eric and Holly removing the poor turkey's neck


Sarah and Eric carving the turkey, described as "LUSH!" said best in Sarah's southeast English accent


Our Czech-English-American feast, l-r Adam (UK), Silver (CZ), Holly (US), me, Sarah (UK), Maria (CZ), Rob, Eric, Kristen (US)... and Katie the photographer


My students Matias, Terezka, Karolinka, Julinka, Linda, Davidek and Frantisek all about to enjoy their first Thanksgiving in appropriate attire (the concept of Pilgrims was a bit hard to convey, so they weren't present at this feast)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are some fun pictures and memories! Christmas markets and snow in Wenceslas Square...I've never even been there and still it sounds magical.