Thursday, May 31, 2007

this one time in california

It had been 6 (6!!) years since I'd been to California! I know!... for how close I live, that's really ridiculous. The last time I was there, it was in San Bernardino for my college friend Emilee's wedding. And the last time I drove to California was in a 15 passenger van my senior year in high school, flirting with boys, and getting sunburns, and telling unsuspecting kids about Jesus :)

The drive down was fun. Tabitha and I had made mixed cd's, packed snacks, took equal number of starbucks runs as hours we drove... but the dominating characteristic of our time in the car was one thing: we read House, described as, "a story unlike any you've ever read. Enter House - where you'll find yourself thrown into a killer's deadly game in which the only way to win is to lose...and the only way out is in.". You're roped in now too, huh? .. and after some dramamine it was my FIRST success at reading in the car. Yay!

Other themes of the weekend included coffee, good french food (is that redundant?), good conversation, pictures, beautiful architecture, seeing Josh and Liz' world, walking, walking and walking some more, more pictures and more coffee. Perfect!

And I have to end on a great story on our way home. We were in Medford for lunch. Tabitha had run into Subway to grab a sandwich. I had left the air and music on since it was so hot out. She jumped in the car and we backed out of the space. But something was wrong! She said "I can BARELY turn the wheel! and the brake's not really working!" She jumped out to look around the car ('cuz what else does a girl do at this point?). I'm thinking, "great, we're almost home and I'm really tired, and now we're stuck in a strange town on a holiday when nothing's open!". She gets back in the car, and I ask if her maintenance light is on, glance over and notice the oil light on and ask.. "is the car even started?" She collapsed into the steering wheel laughing. Nope. The engine was not running. Glad I spared my dad the panicked, "we're in Medford, can you come get us?" call!

2 comments:

kristin said...

okay, tabs ... i'll jump on that train with you ... when i was still in high school and a new driver, my folks let me take their suburban out for a day of shopping. i got in the car, put in the keys, and could NOT get the steering wheel unlocked. could not get the car to start, either! panic. called my dad from (fortunately) just downtown gresham. he drove out to my rescue ... only to find that i had it in drive. the steering wheel only unlocks when you start the car in park! go figure. :)

Jeremy said...

That is funny. One time I ... wait there never was a time that that happened to me. :) I loved reading about it.