Boxing Day is a traditional celebration, dating back to the Middle Ages, and consists of the practice of giving out gifts to employees, the poor, or to people in a lower social class. The name has numerous folk etymologies; the Oxford English Dictionary attributes it to the Christmas box; the verb box meaning: "To give a Christmas-box; whence boxing-day." (thank you Wikipedia!)
This is a holiday that I think the US needs to adopt. No one should have to work the day after Christmas, we don't work the day after Thanksgiving, so why not make it a holiday and we're all happy.
This happens to be my last day "off" as I have nanny jobs starting tomorrow. Boo! (wait, that wasn't meant to scare you, that was booing at my schedule)
I did have a nice, long weekend starting Thursday after work and I'm thankful for all the family/friend time I had. Now it's time to take a very dead tree out of the living room and return to life as normal.
But before I kiss Christmas '07 goodbye, here are some good Christmas memories (my favorite, of which I have no photo, being the moment I heard my nephew laugh for the first time.. oh so cute!)
Sister Sarah and her family celebrating a day ahead and 7 hours behind (yah, I get lost too) in Papua New Guinea

Faith helping Peyty open a gift

Luke and Aunt Bekah

Now I see why second-borns don't have ANY pictures of just them!

Here I come Peyty!

Peyton and her 2nd cousins Henry, Spencer and Dawson
2 comments:
ADORABLE pictures!
Mom
I got snow on boxing day and stayed inside and did nothing!!!! I love it over here! and I agree... that is needed in the states.. what is up with the crazy rush to buy and return the day after Christmas... as if getting ready for Christmas is not stressful enough. :-)
Post a Comment