I'm sure everyone's already thought this, but really it's true. everyone has their reasons for starting a blog. mine was because i was moving to europe and i wanted to keep everyone up on what was going on with me. it seemed easier than email, less intrusive. the only people i knew with blogs at that time were Alison Gentry and Melissa Wright! and now i just think how much a blog is reflective of the person who owns it. I'm a blogger who mostly puts up pictures and an occasional story. i think i had more stories when i was abroad, but now my life is boring with little to tell.
and then i have friends who don't blog often, but when they do they come up with all this insight and depth. i've yet to post insight and depth. but i'm not a super deep person and luckily i have friends who are deep enough for the both of us. i think part of my problem with writing anything that means anything is that i have no idea who's reading this. and for better or worse, that scares me a little. i like to know my audience so i can say what i think will please that person. ha! sadly true. if i put it on my blog for all to see, then the hypocritical, pleaser bekah loses. i'm only kind of joking here. so there's my weakness for all to see..
i like to know who i'm talking to, before i open my mouth. but since i don't, you instead get a lot of pictures and stories about people i love.
one more thing. do you have an inner audience? like when you were little, did you think everyone was watching you, checking out your every move? not a stalker, scary audience but a "wow bekah's cool and i have to stare at her"-famous kind of audience? no? just me? well, i think blogs satisfy that part of you that wants to be listened to.
anyway. blogs are weird, but i still spend all kinds of time reading them. and here's my stalker confession. i love Angie Stump's blog! she's linked to my sister Faith's. she's hilarious, check it out. i know you approve of stalking, Angie, so thanks!
Monday, September 08, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That's great Beks, and so true. About the inner audience, oh I totally had that. When I was in junior high I would get up from church every week to go the bathroom so that I could think to myself "everyone is watching me instead of the pastor and they totally think I'm cool" how sad is that? the 2 people that were watching me were probably thinking about how much of a tool I was getting up all the time! ha!
I'm sure that Angie will be thankful you just referred all the stalkers who read your blog to now go and read her blog. Haha.
I totally agree with everything you've said. I completely think that having a blog feeds that inner need to be listened and paid attention to.
Having a blog for me has been really good. When I write on it, I picture the fam and my close friends reading it and then I'll find out some wise, older adult from GSCC keeps up on it or that my pastor reads it or that one of the kids in the youth groups parents read it and then I get scared and think I need to go edit some stuff, but it's been good for me to be honest and let those people who I act more holy or more mature around see my true self.
Anyway, I wanted to write all of this to satisfy that inner audience...2 thumbs up...
I'm soooo flattered that you're a stalker! And thanks for sending all your weirdos my way. The more the merrier :0)
Um, this will probably not come as a surprise to you but yes, I have always had an inner audience. Is that a good thing? Is it bad? I'm not really sure what to think but I do feel a little weird admitting it even though i'm sure you and everyone else who reads this comment will not be surprised in anyway. And don't worry Bekah, I never, EVER, have any insightful words on my blog. :)
Post a Comment