Funny story (not funny ha ha, funny how life turns out). When I was 22 I thought I was ready to get married. Sure of it. Convinced I was mature enough to make such a life changing decision. Lucky for me (although 'lucky' was not how I felt at the time), the guy walked away. I was not mature enough. I still don't know if I'm mature enough. Up until this point in my life actually, I was really on schedule. i was graduating with my bachelor's degree and I was 3 years into a serious relationship I thought would result in marriage. But it didn't. This is where my life started to not follow the expected schedule. I worked in a job I liked but didn't love for the next 5 years. I finally decided what I wanted to do next and moved away from Portland for the first time at 27 (!!) (Will, don't judge). And at the baby-face age of 29, decided to go back to school to be a teacher.
Now in NO way do I think I've arrived (if this is what "arrived" looks like, I'm not happy).. but I CAN say I'm FINALLY doing what I love to do, "where the worlds' deep hunger and my deep gladness meet". I'm 4 weeks into teaching and I adore every day. I love teaching way more than going to school to be a teacher! It's so much more fun, so much more freeing. I'm really grateful. And I don't know where I'll be in the future (personally, I think it's time to leave the country again.. but I'm learning I have little influence in making these things happen).. and I'm ready to open myself up to new friendships and relationships (an area in my life I'm inconsistent in)..
I love my life though. I'm excited for my future and I'm hopeful.
8 comments:
GOOD post.
Love
Mom
even the "leave the country" bit? wow.
i love your life too! and so glad you're not where you would have been if you had married that guy at 22. but i married a guy at 22....hmmm....jk.
please don't move out of the country.
ah oh. you got married at 22? you probably just married the wrong person. no biggie.
Amen to Elizabeth's last comment!
my sister the writer. love it. i don't want you to leave either..my kids love their auntie bekah! but at the same time..i want you to have more adventures:) i know you are happy when adventuring (is that a word? it is now)
I'm so glad you are 'coming into your own', Miss Bekah T. Keep moving ahead-I'm sure you are doing great things and that you will continue!
Ever since I read this post, I can't stop thinking about the gladness/hunger quote you included. It's haunting me. My heart is so glad that you have found this place.
Post a Comment