Wednesday, March 21, 2012

comfort zone

7 years ago (doing that math just depressed me) I prayed a prayer that I would get out of my comfort zone. I was mid-20's, in a job I didn't love, living a comfortable life. I never did anything out of my comfort zone.

So I moved to Europe.

I remember days into moving that I got my wish. I was in an intensive 1-month program to get my certificate to teach english, surrounded by new people and a new language.

It was amazing.

Second to living abroad, my reason for teaching was to see if it was something I could do. This put me on the path where I taught at a preschool, returned home to teach in an elementary school and get my masters in teaching, subbing for a year and now in my 2nd year with my own classroom.

Being in school and my first year of teaching was TOUGH. I didn't feel like I could take a breath. I was full of self-doubt as I tried to guide my students through a year where they would grow and be pushed.

Now in my second year, I can breathe. I can have a weekend that's not 100% getting ready for the next week. I can see friends and plan trips. At times it's still overwhelmingly all work. But I am a lover of BALANCE and I finally feel like a have more in my life. It's always going to be a fulfilling and challenging career, and much more what I was made to do.

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do" -Eleanor Roosevelt

4 comments:

Faith said...

love this. so glad you followed that adventure that has led to this. you are where you were meant to be with teaching..it's your sweet spot for sure:)

Anonymous said...

Agreed. I always knew you'd make a marvelous teacher. I saw it in you the first time I witnessed you teaching kindergartners at Good Shepherd. It's your calling, and you do it wonderfully well.

Love
Mom

Anonymous said...

Bekah, you're inspiring. I want to show your post here to a former student of mine (she was in 8th grade when I taught her, gah!) who is now a first year teacher herself. Bravo.

Emilee Seeger said...

Uh, that anonymous aobut being inspiring, that was me. Emilee. Forgot to type my name.