My sister, Sarah and her husband, Scott are spending a few days in London before heading through Asia to get to their home in Papua New Guinea. They had decided to spend a day in either Oxford or Cambridge, and I did my VERY best to encourage them to go to Oxford. It's not that I have anything against Cambridge, I just know Oxford is way better. 5 years ago, I had the incredible privilege to study there for a semester (believe me, I was the STUPIDEST person in Oxford...I had 'em all fooled!). I don't think I took 1 day there for granted...you couldn't! It's so gorgeous, and all you have to do is look UP and it'll bring a smile to your face! I even gave them a top 10 list of things to see and do (most free) and they were still agonizing over where to go. Come again?
From everything to getting a tour of CS Lewis' home, to hanging out in his pub and walking the grounds of his college, to visiting a pub only accessible by a hidden, narrow alley way, to beholding the Radcliffe Camera (part of the Bodleian Library, where all the smart people get smarter), to the Shelley Memorial, to the Cross in Broad Street marking where 3 Protestants were burned at the stake by Bloody Mary, to the "Dreaming Spires" of 39 colleges, to the Bri-ish accents... I don't see how you can help falling in love! (just ignore the KFC's and Starbucks)
So if you ever find yourself in London and have a day to spare...do me a favor and DON'T ask the question, "Oxford or Cambridge?" 'cause I'm telling you now, the choice is obvious!
Thursday, June 09, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment