Thursday, January 04, 2007

clearly unfit for grad school

Tonight I headed downtown for an informational meeting on the Masters of Teaching Program at Portland State. I'd received an email with details of place, date and time. Before leaving though, I could NOT find the hall on the campus map. Of course I had put off finding the location and directions until moments before I wanted to leave. When I had no more time to stare down the map, I finally left the house knowing where the Ed building was, figuring I'd figure out the rest when I got there.

I park, pay for an hour and a half of parking, and begin to walk around the massive, spread out campus. First of all I have to say how European it feels to be on this campus. It was dry and cold out (yay!) and there were people walking all around me, AND someone was smoking. Smelling that took me back to Europe more than anything else. It was great! I think also the fact that I quickly became lost and turned around, but remained walking confidently like I knew JUST where I was going, also reminded me of being in any European city. I really hate to ask for directions. Even if I'm not, I like to look like I know what I'm doing.

This story is getting really long and boring, but basically I'm having the same problem I had at home. There is no Franz Hall. I'm quickly giving up and I decide to walk to Starbucks. I ask the people there if they've heard of this hall, or the name of the room the meetings' in. Getting really blank faces, I know I wrote it down wrong or got the wrong name or something. The guy asks, "are you sure it's not University of Portland?" I say "no, I'm sure it's PSU".. but by the time I'm adding cream to my coffee, I have a strong feeling he's right.

I get in my car and head to U of P... to yes, find Franz Hall and the Murphy Room... only 35 minutes late!

So Kristin: you told me last night you think of me as so bright. No. Sadly. No.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious in a very sad way. Hey, at least you knew how to get to U of P. I would have been in big trouble at that point! How did it go?

Anonymous said...

Oh, you're a smarty. Just a bit of a procrastinator, too.

Anonymous said...

Maybe George Fox isn't so far away now. You are so funny!
r