Thursday, April 26, 2007

favorite book.

have you ever read a book that makes you feel alive? have you ever heard me say anything more cheesy? but it's TRUE!! some books simply make me want to live a FULL life... and make me want to live a better life and be a better person and attempt to use less cliches in one sentence.

a severe mercy. by sheldon van auken. a story about life, pure and true love, and finding god.

ah studio! we'll meet again.
it won't be gaslight in the lane,
but just as gentle, only brighter.
and jack on aslan's back.
we'll sing his glory.
around those two: one love-truth.
old world will give one final "crack!"
our hearts could not be lighter


thou shalt love the lord thy god; and if thou canst not yet love him, thou shalt trust him with all thy mind, soul and heart

if everything is lost, thanks be to god
if i must see it go, watch it go
watch it fade away, die
thanks be to god that he is all i have
and if i have him not, i have nothing at all
nothing at all, only a farewell to the wind
farewell to the grey sky
goodbye, god be with you evening october sky
if all is lost, thanks be to god,
for he is he, and i, i am only i


even at some cost to our time alone together, we decided from the first to reach out to or draw in all we could of the extraordinary richness of the great university round us. In a way all of us at oxford knew, knew as an undercurrent in our minds, that it wouldn't last forever. lew and mary ann expressed it one night by saying: 'this, you know, is a time of taking in - taking in friendship, conversation, gaiety, wisdom, knowledge, beauty, holiness - and later, well, there'll be a time of giving out'.

4 comments:

sara said...

i'd have to agree with you on this beks. i just read it again a few months ago and was filled with the same desire to experience that full life that vanauken so wonderfully describes. i imagine you must feel it even more deeply since you've got the oxford connection! i trust you are well my friend...when are you coming to visit us in africa?

Anonymous said...

beks- that's so weird. i bought this book at borders a couple months ago...having never read it. we ended up returning it (never read it) guess i'll have to borrow it from you!!

thanks for sharing the quotes.
Liz

Tabs said...

Like I'M going to think you're the cheesy one. I have not found a book that makes me feel "alive" or however you put it but I'll keep my eyes open and let you know when I find it. :)

oregonfatts said...

I love this book! I've come to beleive on my second read through that these two were so unique, and not meant to be emulated by just anyone... I know that sounds negative, but I don't mean it that way. I read it first when I was single, and second when I was married. It was almost like two different books. My experience changed my understanding of the story... talk about cheezy what a cheezy comment I just made