Portland Monthly published an article about Christianity in the city, and here's the excerpt on my church. Click through the page numbers at the bottom to read about other church communities in the area. Click here to read.
Thursday, December 24, 2009
church
I've only gone to 3 churches in my life. The first I went to for 27 years. I ran the halls as a kid, considered it my second home and worked there for 5 years after college. I grew up there and made some of the best friends of my life. I moved to Prague and instantly found another church home. This one was tiny, multi-lingual, multi-cultural and a community that I loved. When I moved back to the States, I wanted that again. I've been at my church Evergreen Community for 3 years now and I love it more and more. I love the heart for the poor, homeless and destitute and for community. I love the heart for both the city we all love and the world we all want to see more of. At times my church has been my only connection to God and I've been grateful for them pointing me in that direction.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
that's really cool beks. thanks for sharing that. someday i will visit:) i really want to..seems like a really cool place. can we stay and have a beer after??? :)
When Ben and I visited your church we really liked it. Ben was into the dialogue between pastor and congregation during the sermon. We both liked the huge emphasis on community. I'm glad Evergreen can reach out to people who may not feel comfortable in a more traditional setting.
i absolutely love your church. only been twice but i always leave feeling very encouraged and refreshed. the article was good and i don't know your lead pastor but a little sliver of what he said sounded kind of cynical against "those other christians". maybe i misunderstood him, it's just something i hope evergreen never experiences...an attitude where they think they're the best kind of christians, ya know?
anyway. just an impression. i love your church. ; )
i totally know what you mean liz, and i don't think that's what was meant.. i'm glad you love my church too :)
Post a Comment