Sunday, May 29, 2011

teacher me

I have learned a lot about myself through this first year of teaching.

I've learned that I am my worst critic. Seriously. Try to challenge me. I'm harder on myself than anyone and I'm not even a perfectionist. Or am I?

When I tell my kids not to whine, I'm talking to myself too.

I will tell a cheesy joke to get a laugh out of my kids.

I still try sarcasm even if only one kid gets it.

My mantra for happy (sane) teacher days is: have fun and be patient.

Sometimes Nyquil is the only way I'll sleep.

School breaks are just as necessary for teachers as they are for kids.

A tiny and adorable 5 year old ripping one during a serious Lois Lowry read aloud may still be the funniest thing that happened all year.

Celebrating a kids' success is one of the most exhilarating moments and will choke me up faster than anything.

Taking their emotional and social development as seriously as their academic development, while catching me off guard this year, are equal parts my job as their teacher.

Reading my kids a book is the fastest way to quiet and calm them (and me) down.

There are 4 days left of my first year of teaching. I want to make the most of them, no matter where I am next year. It is a privilege to be a teacher.

4 comments:

Faith said...

You are a wonderful teacher sis. Those kids are so lucky to have you! Enjoy your last week:)

Kimberly said...

So glad you love it. And yes, sleeping pills are sometimes the only way to shut down the brain. Been there! Definitely! Praying for the future and knowing it's already figured out. Enjoy the sucky process and enjoy your kids.

Anonymous said...

You are destined to be a teacher. I've told you that for years. Corbett is lucky to have you...and they'll be especially grateful when you return. I feel it in my bones.

Love
Mom

sarah_carey said...

i love this post. i'm so impressed with you beks. you are fabulous.